What is Imago Relationship Therapy (IRT)?
This unique approach to therapy is focused on personal growth and healing through committed relationships and brings together the major psychological theories of the century. IRT proposes that there is an unconscious purpose (we call it imago) guiding us in our selection of a mate and our conduct of our relationships. The difficulties we experience arise from our lack of awareness about what we’re doing in our relationship, not from our choice of partners.
What do we learn during this process?
- early experiences of love with childhood caretakers have profoundly affected our patterns of perception and behavior in our current love life.
- That we bring to our love relationships an unconscious agenda – to get some kind of love from our partner that we didn’t get in our childhood so we can heal old wounds.
- That frustration and struggle are a part of the development of a relationship, as we merge our “agendas” and attempt to get our needs met. In the process we often unconsciously rewound each other in ways we were wounded in childhood!
- Helps us to develop important skills to resolve the pain and conflict in relationships so that they remain safe, growing and lasting.
- Helps us to learn how to really love each other.
Who can benefit from IRT?
- Are experiencing difficulties and want to resolve their conflicts.
- Are just beginning a relationship.
- Are considering divorce but want to find out if they can work things out.
- Want to enrich their relationship.
Singles who want to:
- Understand why past relationships didn’t work.
- Create satisfying and fulfilling relationships in the future.
- Break destructive patterns.
- Heal old hurts and frustrations.
What Should I Expect from an IRT Session?
When you come to your first session with you partner you will probably feel nervous or apprehensive, but understand what is expected of you is helpful.
- A commitment to a minimum of 10-12 sessions.
- Homework assignments that are designed to help you become aware of and share valuable information with you partner.
- Coaching and practice of communication process that will make it safe to share.
- Learning skills that will help you resolve conflict and enhance joy together.